As a direct result of how we live our day-to-day lives, we are experiencing the fastest rate of extinction in history (Katz, 2018). Every minute, a truck load of plastic is dumped into the ocean; and every day animals die as a result. It’s even in our food and contaminating our bodies. If we don’t cut our dependence on this toxic substance, this trend will only become more catastrophic.
Who Plastic Pollution Affects and How
- Marine creatures, birds, and countless land mammals die every year from suffocation, starvation, overheating and dehydration as a result of plastic being littered across the world (Plastic Statistics)
- Coral reefs see an 85 percent increase in contracting terminal disease after coming into contact with plastic (NPR)
- Two-thirds of the world’s fish stock has suffered
- Scientists have identified 200 ‘dead zones’ where no living organisms can grow as a result of plastic blocking out sun, leaching chemicals, etc.
- 93 percent of HUMANS over the age of six test positive for BPA. Which is known to cause reproductive, cardiovascular, brain and other organ problems
In Just One Year….
- 4 million tons of plastic are dumped into the ocean
- You generate roughly 1,606 pounds of waste
- 273 sea turtles are killed
- Countless land mammals die
- Over 100,000 marine mammals die
- Over 1 million birds die
- 20 children die from plastic bags (Plastic Statistics)
What You Can Do
These numbers may be staggering but there really is a simple solution.
Stop using plastic!!
By making simple changes in your home and lifestyle, you can help save lives and our planet. Here are some ways to help:
- Reduce the amount of plastic in your life, read our tips here
- Support organizations that are working to save our environment
- Vote for legislation and policy makers that work toward making our world a greener place
- Demand that businesses support greener practices
- Talk to your friends and family about reducing plastic waste
- Become an activist, it’s not as hard as you think!
Refilling household consumables keeps countless amounts of plastic out of the environment, since less plastic will be produced in the first place!
We Want Refill’s mission is to show big business that people care about our planet and want sustainable options. We’re making it easy to take a stand. By signing our petition you are adding to the almost 50,000 who have told big business enough is enough and sustainable refill options MUST be put in stores.
The only way to keep the flow of trash out of our environment is to turn off the tap. Take action today start saving lives, by signing our petition here.